Q&A : Keynote Session - Aruna Roy

Please post your questions for the key note session as a reply to this post

What is one piece of advice you will give to all the non profits and corporates who came to Volcon today?

4 Likes

In the social sector, where we have multiple social impact organisations involved in social activism and advocacy, how can organisations initiate and maintain movements without depending on institutional funding?

5 Likes

How is your experience building the financial independence by skilling for the underprivileged to make them having a sustainable livelihood , specially in rural area?

2 Likes

As an NGO, we’ve discussed the myriad societal challenges we’re addressing, knowing that each contribution is a step on a long journey. Looking ahead to 2050, envisioning India, what do you foresee?

3 Likes

Your view on Indian recent hunger Statics report?

You spoke about ethics and morals today. Unfortunately, many schools have removed moral classes from their curriculum or it is the first session to cut down if academic curriculum is not completed.

How can take the ethics and morals classes back to schools? What’s your suggestion on this?

1 Like

Where we are locking to do basic needs /benefits ?

What drives someone to get on such an intense action? Do you think such drive can be developed in youth? What can be done to achieve it?

1 Like

We are talking about sustainability of the work but really its happened?

How have you been able to motivate people to act?

1 Like

How to uphold and promote secular values and constitutional protections for minorities in India and less privileged people.

Arunaji, farmers are being photographed and their passports and visas canceled, in a climate like this, how does one find the courage to protest against a state that is threatening to close on every possible freedom?

4 Likes

We grew up in law schools reading about your movement for enforcing RTI. We generally tend to step away when state is involved. How did you manage to fight against a state that is so powerful?

Aruna ji, you talked about compassion and shared humanity as the basis for your life’s work, and as an essential ingredient in making a difference. What advice do you have about inculcating compassion and a true belief in shared humanity in society?

Hi Mam,
You talked about role of NREGA in providing 100 days employment guarantee program. Basically I came from rural area I have registered under NREGA and worked for 14 days what I saw that even the worker is Absent on the working day but the Person who coordinates this NREGA program infield making huge profits by keeping the worker as Present for the day. So my question is how can we avoid or prohibit such type of acts in rural areas?

Irina ji,
What are some key factors one should consider when identifying Nonprofits for employee sabbaticals?
How do we ensure that the non profit we select, delivers a good experience to corporate employees

1 Like

Hey Aruna,
Your work as an activist for RTI and your work through MKSS has been hugely inspirational. Thank you for your insightful keynote today.

With regards to keeping salary expenses low at nonprofits, an IDR report on the impact of FCRA cancellations- says 47% of the workers at NGOs are the primary breadwinners in their family.

While a lot of us in the sector are privileged enough to not having to bear the weight of supporting an entire family, for those who do, how does one make sure that their passion for the social sector doesn’t come at a personal cost to themselves or their familes?

I often wonder how many passionate and talented people might not enter the sector because their financial/family obligations, do you think it possible to strike a balance here, if yes I’d love to hear your thoughts on how :raised_hands:t2:

What opportunities do you see for social impact organizations to leverage emerging tech like AI, and digital solutions like cloud computing, and data analytics to amplify their impact and scalability?

1 Like

Quest to Irena
How in Microsoft do you ensure commitment from the volunteers and them being more focussed and open to understanding NGO work and their needs to plan their contribution
This could help in more substantial outcomes for both volunteers & NGO

1 Like